Post COVID-19 Re-Opening Policies and Procedures
Date: August 4, 2020
The following are the policies and procedures that we are following to ensure everyone’s safety after re-opening for flight training and aircraft rentals:
Protective Measures (see Flight Ops and Restaurant for measures specific to those areas):
- Plexiglas shields have been installed at Dispatch, Pilot Shop, Restaurant and Parts to separate customers from staff where 6 ft / 2 m spacing is not possible.
- Hand sanitizers are available in all areas of the building.
- Sharing of items such as pens, paper, books, headsets etc is not permitted.
- The computer terminals in the Clubhouse lobby have been re-arranged in order to maintain safe physical distancing.
- Regular disinfecting of communal devices (phones/tablet/computers in the lobby, pay terminals etc) will be carried out and disinfectant will be available for cleaning communal equipment between uses.
- Markings have been placed on the floor in the Clubhouse lobby to ensure physical distancing from the dispatcher / DM and customers.
- Access to the Clubhouse, Pilot Shop and Restaurant is restricted to maintain physical distancing.
- To control the number of people in the Clubhouse, a staff member is posted at the front entrance of the Clubhouse to only allow those customers with an imminent aircraft booking, simulator booking, ground school class or scheduled meeting/exam into the Clubhouse area beyond the restaurant and washrooms. The entrance to the lobby will be locked after 1900 and access will be controlled by the Dispatcher on duty.
- A traffic flow pattern for customers has been set up to minimize two-way traffic as much as possible in the Clubhouse as follows:
- Customers arriving at the Clubhouse for a flight will be directed to the lounge area to brief with their instructor or to do flight planning (with the number of tables / chairs reduced to ensure physical distancing is possible) and then on to the Dispatcher and Duty Manager to dispatch the flight. We encourage you to do as much flight planning as possible ahead of time to minimize the time spent in the lounge and lobby area.
- Customers returning from a flight are to re-enter the Clubhouse through the side entrance on the east side of the building where cubicles are available to debrief and a table has been set up where you can pay for your flight before leaving the Clubhouse through the same side door and to the parking lot through the gate just north of the Lecture Hall. A computer is available in the Commercial classroom in case you need to file an SMS report etc.
- Student PTR’s will be delivered by staff to the return table after dispatch so that they can be filled out after each flight in the return area.
- Students requiring a post-flight debrief with the Duty Manager are asked to call the DM and do a de-briefing by phone.
- Document bags and PTR’s will be delivered by staff back to the lobby after each flight.
- Loitering in the Clubhouse, and especially the lobby, is not permitted. With the limited space in the lobby, lounge and back hall for customers to physically distance, we need to keep these areas reserved for people who are immediately dispatching a flight or paying for a flight just completed. Please come in, do your flight or ground school and leave to make space available for other customers.
- Any person who has
- a fever, cough, difficulty breathing or any other symptoms of COVID-19 or
- been in contact with a confirmed or probable COVID-19 case in the last 14 days or
- a sick household member or
- travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days
will be denied entry into the Clubhouse. People denied entry will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days, or 3 days beyond symptom clearance, whichever is longer.
- In the event that an individual who has been at BFC is identified with a confirmed or presumptive case of COVID-19, we will take steps to minimize the possibility of further infection. This will include at least the following:
- Exclusion of affected individual from our facilities.
- Notification of people who have been in close contact with the affected individual within the past two days. These people will also be excluded from company facilities.
- Temporary closure of our facility until enhanced cleaning and disinfecting has been carried out of the affected individual’s workstation and belongings, all high-touch objects and likely sources of contamination in the facility.
- Effective July 10, 2020, we will turn away any member of the public from entering our buildings who refuses to wear a mask unless they are “Persons who have trouble breathing or are otherwise unable to wear a face covering for medical reasons or for reason of disability, including Persons who are unable to remove masks without assistance”.
- The number of aircraft available for bookings has been reduced to 2 – C172P’s, 11 – C172R/S’s, 1 – C172 G1000 and 2 – Seminoles to help keep the number of people in the Clubhouse to a safe number (the number of aircraft available is being actively monitored and will be adjusted as required to accommodate the number of people that we can safely handle).
- Bookings will be staggered to reduce the number of people congregating in the lobby. We may need to shift booking times slightly in order to increase the stagger. Customers will be informed if we have had to shift their booking.
- The number of bookings that pilots and renters can make has been reduced to 15 in a 30 day period with a maximum of 1 booking per day. Future bookings are reduced to a 30 day window. These changes have been made to allow more opportunity for all who wish to fly with us. As per normal operations, instructors and our scheduler will still be able to make longer and additional bookings to accommodate specific student and renter needs.
- The minimum time between aircraft and simulator bookings has been increased to allow for cleaning / disinfecting between flights.
- High touch areas of aircraft and simulators, including, but not limited to, seats, seatbelts, control wheels, ignition keys, engine controls, avionics controls, door handles (inside and out), window latches, fuel caps, oil dipsticks, fuel strainer knob and pitot covers are being cleaned and disinfected by trained Flightline staff after each flight and at the end of the day. A card is on the glareshield of each airplane to show the airplane cleaning status and to confirm that the airplane is cleared for the next flight.
- Because we are unable to ensure physical distancing during dual flights, instructors and students/passengers are required to wear masks for all dual flights in aircraft and the simulators. Students are expected to provide their own masks (N95 or surgical masks will NOT be required). We have a limited supply of disposable masks available for purchase at a nominal cost but if none are available and a student does not have a mask, his/her flight will be cancelled.
- No sightseeing flights until further notice (intro flights will be allowed).
- Electronic signatures are being used in FleetCaptain to reduce the amount of paper touched during the dispatch process.
- Only the DM and one dispatcher will be at the front desk each shift.
- Ground school class sizes are being limited to ensure physical distancing in the lecture hall and commercial classroom can be maintained and all extra chairs will be removed. Chairs and desktops will be cleaned and disinfected after each class.
- PPL ground school is available only by advance registration. Contact [email protected] for more information on how to register.
- Flight Ops and Fuel hours are 0700 – 2330 Monday to Friday and 0700 – 2200 Saturday and Sunday, with the plan to extend the closing to 2345 seven days a week as requirements necessitate and restrictions are relaxed.
- The following declaration has been added to the Flight Authorization form: “I self-declare that I am free of COVID-19 symptoms, have not travelled out of the country and have not been in contact with anyone who might be suspected, infected or diagnosed with the Coronavirus within the past 14 days. I understand that choosing to enter our facility involves risks, including without limitation, bodily injury or harm and contracting COVID-19. I acknowledge that I am participating voluntarily. I freely accept and fully assume any and all of the risks, whether caused by the negligence of the club or otherwise. I release the club and its directors, officers, employees and representatives from any potential claims or liabilities related to my attendance at the club.”
- For all Private Aircraft Instruction, the aircraft must be disinfected by our flight line staff prior to any dual lessons. There will be a nominal charge to the student for this service.
- The renter airplane in the booking system has temporarily been changed to being available for weekend bookings only since it is only lightly used during the week.
Maintenance / Parts:
- Access to the maintenance hangars is restricted to staff only.
- Parts are available for pickup in the Hangar 1 lobby
- Maintenance and Parts hours are 0800 – 1630, Monday to Friday, with one AME on duty on the weekend to deal with fleet aircraft snags.
- The restaurant is open for take-out and for sit-down dining (limited seating indoor and on our patio), with a reduced menu.
- Online ordering is available at https://order2.silverwarepos.com/app/BFCRestaurantCafe#!/menu
- Access to the restaurant is controlled by restaurant staff at the front counter.
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of table surfaces and chairs on the patio is being carried out between customers
- Our servers wear masks during their interactions with customers.
- Restaurant hours are 0800 – 1500, 7 days a week.
- Entrance is through the door on the north side of the Pilot Shop with access controlled by Pilot Shop staff.
- Pilot Shop hours are 0900 – 1900, Monday to Friday and 0900 – 1700 Saturday and Sunday.
- It is requested that payments at the front desk, in the Restaurant, in the Pilot Shop, at the fuel kiosk and in Parts / Maintenance be made by credit or debit card for all transactions to limit the use of cash. If the amount of the payment is below the tapping limit (currently temporarily raised from $100 to $200) it is requested that you tap instead of inserting the card in payment terminal and keying in the requested information.