Post COVID-19 Re-Opening Policies and Procedures
Date: October 7, 2020
The following are the policies and procedures that we are following to ensure everyone’s safety after re-opening for flight training and aircraft rentals:
Protective Measures (see Flight Ops and Restaurant for measures specific to those areas):
- Glass shields have been installed at Dispatch, Pilot Shop, Restaurant and Parts to separate customers from staff where 6 ft / 2 m spacing is not possible.
- Hand sanitizers are available in all areas of the building, including at the entrance to the lobby where we ask everyone to sanitize prior to entering the lobby.
- Sharing of items such as pens, paper, books, headsets etc is not permitted.
- The computer terminals in the Clubhouse lobby have been re-arranged in order to maintain safe physical distancing.
- Regular disinfecting of communal devices (phones/tablet/computers in the lobby, pay terminals etc) will be carried out and disinfectant will be available for cleaning communal equipment between uses.
- Markings have been placed on the floor in the Clubhouse lobby to ensure physical distancing from the dispatcher / DM and customers.
- Access to the Clubhouse, Pilot Shop and Restaurant is restricted to maintain physical distancing.
- To control the number of people in the Clubhouse, a staff member is posted at the front entrance of the Clubhouse to only allow those customers with an imminent aircraft booking, simulator booking, ground school class or scheduled meeting/exam into the Clubhouse area beyond the restaurant and washrooms. The entrance to the lobby will be closed after 1900 and access will be controlled by the Dispatcher on duty.
- It is important that you make a reservation in our Wingman booking system if you plan to come to the flight school. We are not able to accommodate students who wish to use our facilities for studying purposes.
- A traffic flow pattern for customers has been set up to minimize two-way traffic as much as possible in the Clubhouse as follows:
- Customers arriving at the Clubhouse for a flight will be directed to the lounge area to brief with their instructor or to do flight planning (with the number of tables / chairs reduced to ensure physical distancing is possible) and then on to the Dispatcher and Duty Manager to dispatch the flight. We encourage you to do as much flight planning as possible ahead of time to minimize the time spent in the lounge and lobby area.
- Customers returning from a flight will re-enter the Clubhouse through the door at the east end of the lobby to drop off the aircraft document bag on the table at the northeast corner of the lobby and then exit through the same door. If you need a post-flight briefing, the side entrance door will be open with cubicles available to debrief before you leave through the same door to the parking lot.
- Students requiring a post-flight debrief with the Duty Manager are asked to call the DM and do a de-briefing by phone.
- In order to keep yourself and our staff safe, please refrain from speaking to our staff at the front desk station in the lobby without a protective barrier as this station is meant solely to for handing out the document bag after you have been dispatched.
- Loitering in the Clubhouse, and especially the lobby, is not permitted for staff, members and associates. With the limited space in the lobby, lounge and back hall for customers to physically distance, we need to keep these areas reserved for people who are immediately dispatching a flight or paying for a flight just completed. Please come in, do your flight or ground school and leave to make space available for other customers. Anybody found loitering in the lobby will be asked to leave the building.
- Any person who has
- a fever, cough, difficulty breathing or any other symptoms of COVID-19 or
- been in contact with a confirmed or probable COVID-19 case in the last 14 days or
- a sick household member or
- travelled outside of Canada in the last 14 days
will be denied entry into the Clubhouse. People denied entry will be asked to self-isolate for 14 days, or 3 days beyond symptom clearance, whichever is longer.
- In the event that an individual who has been at BFC is identified with a confirmed or presumptive case of COVID-19, we will take steps to minimize the possibility of further infection. This will include the following:
- Exclusion of affected individual from our facilities for 14 days, or 3 days beyond symptom clearance, whichever is longer.
- Notification of people who have been in close, prolonged contact with the affected individual at our facility within the 48 hr period immediately prior to the time that the affected individual tested positive or first displayed symptoms. These people will also be excluded from company facilities for 14 days from the last exposure.
- We will advise Brampton Flight Centre students/associates/staff/customers by signage on our bulletin board in the front hallway, our website and by our Constant Contact emailing system.
- We will notify local and provincial authorities of any compliance issues within the 14-day mandatory quarantine period; and any cases of COVID-19 infection during the 14-day mandatory quarantine period.
- Temporary closure of our facility until enhanced cleaning and disinfecting has been carried out of the affected individual’s workstation and belongings, all high-touch objects and likely sources of contamination in the facility.
- Effective July 10, 2020, we will turn away any member of the public from entering our buildings who refuses to wear a mask unless they are “Persons who have trouble breathing or are otherwise unable to wear a face covering for medical reasons or for reason of disability, including Persons who are unable to remove masks without assistance”.
- Bookings will be staggered to reduce the number of people congregating in the lobby. We may need to shift booking times slightly in order to increase the stagger. Customers will be informed if we have had to shift their booking.
- The number of bookings that pilots and renters can make has been reduced to 15 in a 30 day period with a maximum of 2 bookings per day. Future bookings are reduced to a 30 day window. These changes have been made to allow more opportunity for all who wish to fly with us. As per normal operations, instructors and our scheduler will still be able to make longer and additional bookings to accommodate specific student and renter needs.
- The minimum time between aircraft and simulator bookings has been increased to allow for cleaning / disinfecting between flights.
- High touch areas of aircraft and simulators, including, but not limited to, seats, seatbelts, control wheels, ignition keys, engine controls, avionics controls, door handles (inside and out), window latches, fuel caps, oil dipsticks, fuel strainer knob and pitot covers are being cleaned and disinfected by trained Flightline staff after each flight and at the end of the day. A card is on the glareshield of each airplane to show the airplane cleaning status and to confirm that the airplane is cleared for the next flight.
- Because we are unable to ensure physical distancing during dual flights, instructors and students/passengers are required to wear masks for all dual flights in aircraft and the simulators. Students are expected to provide their own masks (N95 or surgical masks will NOT be required). We have a limited supply of disposable masks available for purchase at a nominal cost but if none are available and a student does not have a mask, his/her flight will be cancelled.
- No sightseeing flights until further notice (intro flights will be allowed).
- Electronic signatures are being used in FleetCaptain to reduce the amount of paper touched during the dispatch process.
- Touchless payment using your credit card on file is the preferred method of payment. When you are dispatched, you will be asked how you will be paying for the flight (credit card on account, pre-existing credit from your account, debit or cash) so that you do not need to return to the dispatch desk for payment of your bill. If you are paying by cash or debit, you will be asked to pay the expected amount of the bill prior to your flight based on the estimated Hobbs and instructor times. Your receipt will be automatically emailed to you after the invoice is processed by the dispatcher.
- PPL ground school is available only by advance registration. Contact [email protected] for more information on how to register.
- Ground school class sizes are being limited to ensure that physical distancing in the lecture hall and commercial classroom can be maintained and all extra chairs will be removed. Chairs and desktops will be cleaned and disinfected after each class. A virtual option for attending PPL ground school is available. Contact [email protected] for more information.
- Flight Ops and Fuel hours are 0700 – 2200 every day of the week.
- The following declaration has been added to the Flight Authorization form: “I self-declare that I am free of COVID-19 symptoms, have not travelled out of the country and have not been in contact with anyone who might be suspected, infected or diagnosed with the Coronavirus within the past 14 days. I understand that choosing to enter our facility involves risks, including without limitation, bodily injury or harm and contracting COVID-19. I acknowledge that I am participating voluntarily. I freely accept and fully assume any and all of the risks, whether caused by the negligence of the club or otherwise. I release the club and its directors, officers, employees and representatives from any potential claims or liabilities related to my attendance at the club.”
- For all Private Aircraft Instruction, the aircraft must be disinfected by our flight line staff prior to any dual lessons. There will be a nominal charge to the student for this service.
- The renter airplane in the booking system has temporarily been changed to being available for weekend bookings only since it is only lightly used during the week.
Maintenance / Parts:
- Access to the maintenance hangars is restricted to staff only.
- Parts are available for pickup in the Hangar 1 lobby
- Maintenance and Parts hours are 0800 – 1630, Monday to Friday, with one AME on duty on the weekend to deal with fleet aircraft snags.
- The restaurant is open for take-out and for sit-down dining for PATIO ONLY (limited seating available).
- Online ordering is available at https://order2.silverwarepos.com/app/BFCRestaurantCafe#!/menu
- Access to the restaurant is controlled by restaurant staff at the front counter.
- Names and contact information of every person entering the restaurant must be provided.
- Masks are required to be worn except while sitting at your table.
- Enhanced cleaning and disinfecting of table surfaces and chairs on the patio is being carried out between customers
- Our servers wear masks during their interactions with customers.
- Restaurant hours are 0800 – 1500, 7 days a week.
- Entrance is through the door on the north side of the Pilot Shop with access controlled by Pilot Shop staff.
- Names and contact information of every person entering the Pilot Shop must be provided.
- Pilot Shop hours are 0900 – 1900, Monday to Friday and 0900 – 1700 Saturday and Sunday.
- It is requested that payments at the front desk, in the Restaurant, in the Pilot Shop, at the fuel kiosk and in Parts / Maintenance be made by credit or debit card for all transactions to limit the use of cash. If the amount of the payment is below the tapping limit (currently temporarily raised from $100 to $200) it is requested that you tap instead of inserting the card in payment terminal and keying in the requested information.