History

In 2016, the Brampton Flying Club (BFC) is celebrating it’s 70th Anniversary. We are proud of the history and contributions our club and flight school has made to aviation in Canada. Some of the following information is available in the history book called Brampton Flying Club 1946-1986. The book can be purchased online at lulu.com

Chronology

1945

  • Club first talked about
  • Tiger Moth purchased from Oshawa Flying Club,
  • Stan Archdekin Strip, First Line West, north of Hwy#7
  • Fallis Strip, Queen St. East, west of McMurchy
  • Rankin Kellum Strip, First Line West, south of Hwy#7
  • Ontario Department of Agriculture Field, First Line West, south of Queen Street
  • Allan Barr becomes the first President
  • Bud Young becomes the first instructor (picture shown below)

1946

  • Charter applied for and obtained
  • Armstrong Bros. build runways

1947

  • Club joins Royal Canadian Flying Clubs Association
  • Albert Bettridge becomes first Chief Flight Instructor (CFI)
  • Weekend flights begin
  • Clubhouse enlarged
  • Spot landing and flour bombing contests
  • The great Storm
  • The new Quanset Hangar

1948

  • Tommy Thompson becomes the first Engineer

1967

  • The search begins for a new airfield

1968

  • The great Fire
  • 196.5 acres purchased

1970

  • New field officially opens
  • Our first air show
  • EAAC takes up residence on the field
  • Ontario Aviation Historical Society founded

1973

  • Lloyd Wallace hired as General Manager
  • Peel County refuses to take over airport

1974

  • New mortgage allows paving of 14/32

1976

  • 30th Anniversary Airshow
  • Lloyd Wallace retires, Clay Marlatt takes over as General Manager
  • Runway 08/26 graded and paved

1982

  • 892 Air Cadet Squadron formed

1985

  • Additional 30 acres purchased
  • Runway 08/26 extended to 2500 feet

1986

  • “Flying Pan” Restaurant opened
  • 40th Anniversary Celebrations

2011

2016

  • 70th Anniversary