Caledon’s Brampton Flying Club proud to mark 75 years of aviation excellence!
The Brampton Flying Club has reached an important milestone in its history: 75 years and still soaring to new heights.Founded in 1946, the Club has become one of Canada’s most thriving aviation hubs. It owns and operates the Brampton-Caledon Airport, the largest privately-owned airport in the country, and the Brampton Flight Centre. With programs for all levels, state-of-the-art technology and a diverse fleet of aircraft, the Centre is regarded as a leader in flight training at home and around the globe and has to date trained thousands of commercial and recreational pilots.
The Brampton Flying Club is a non-profit corporation owned and operated for its members, which currently number about 1,000. Initially based near McLaughlin Road and Queen Street in Brampton, the Club moved to its present location in 1970. It owns 240 acres and two paved runways with 162 hangars and has about 200 private aircraft based at the airport. It operates a restaurant, aircraft maintenance shop, pilot shop, and an aviation fuel facility. It is also home to numerous businesses and aviation-related organizations such as the 892 Snowy Owl Air Cadet Squadron and the Recreational Aircraft Association or RAA, Toronto Chapter.Showcasing and encouraging interest in Canadian aviation history also count among the Club’s initiatives. It recently restored its de Havilland DH.82 Tiger Moth to its full glory. Built in 1942, the British bi-plane served as the Club’s first training aircraft. As well, the Club is home to the Great War Flying Museum, housing one of the largest displays of WWI aircraft in Canada, including artifacts paying tribute to the memory of those who fought in battle.
An integral part of the greater Caledon community, the Club promotes the region by bringing communities together through events such as youth flight camps, sightseeing tours and its popular Annual Airport Day in September. It also partners with local organizations to support the community. Notably, it helped raise over $120,000 for the Bethell Hospice Foundation through the Light Up the Runway Walk. Environmentally, the Club takes every step to protect and safeguard the natural beauty and habitat of the Caledon area. It collaborates with local authorities on local land-use planning to ensure the safety of airport users and surrounding neighbours and has established noise abatement procedures.
The Brampton Flying Club thanks all of its pioneering and current members, dedicated staff, partners and volunteers and is grateful for the ongoing support of the Caledon community. It looks forward to publicly celebrating its 75th anniversary when COVID restrictions lift and public events can resume safely.Please check our website or Facebook often for updates and to learn more about our training programs.