Converting Licence to Country Outside of Canada

Conversion of Professional Pilot’s Licence

If you are going to a Foreign Country to convert your licence, you will need to verify with the country of interest as to their requirements and expectations. We have provided some insight below but direction given from the country authorities supersedes any information provided below:


  1. For information on how to convert your licence, please refer to the Flight Crew Licencing Manual for all information relevant to your application. (Flight Crew Licensing Manual currently being updated.)

As a general rule, with the exception of private pilots, pilots applicants seeking to convert a foreign licence to an Australian flight crew license must:

  • Pass a CASA exam. Details of the relevant exams for each type of licence conversion are included in the guidance documents listed above.  Additional information on written examination(s) is available on the CASA website.
  • Obtain an Australian medical certificate.
  • Possess or pass an ICAO required (oral) English language proficiency (ELP) assessment. CASA has sole prerogative to determine which overseas ELP to accept. A minimum of ELP level 4 is required.
  • Gain an aviation security status, this is done by passing a security check for either an ASIC or AVID

The examinations/tests mentioned must be completed only in Australia with a person/persons approved by CASA. CASA does not accept nor recognise any foreign theory examination credit.


How do I convert my foreign CPL(A)/ATPL(A) to a Malaysian license?

The conversion terms for each applicant as specified by DCA would take into consideration the following:

  1. The total, type and recent flying experience of the applicant.
  2. The operating capacity (captain/co-pilot) and the aircraft type the applicant has flown.
  3. The aircraft type to be flown by the applicant with the sponsoring Malaysian Air Operator.
  4. The circumstances leading to the issue of the foreign license e.g. the foreign license being issued on the strength of another license, previous military experience, the exemption, if any, granted by the issuing authorities etc.

For detail information, please refer to FOCN (Notice No 3). 



For Holders of an ICAO PPL/CPL & Want to Convert to a EASA ATP

To convert your license as an ICAO PPL holder, you will be required to complete an approved ATPL ground school program with a EASA training provider. Please note that the Brampton Flight Centre is not an EASA training provider. The ground school can be either a full‐time residential program or a distance learning program. The ground school will be typically divided into 3 modules, covering all 14 ATPL subjects. On average, the residential class will take six months to complete and the distance learning program is designed to be completed within 12 months.

For the ICAO PPL Holder:
On completion of passing all 14 ATPL theoretical exams, you will need to complete an EASA Approved course for the commercial pilots license. This is a 25 hour program, followed by a skills test with a EASA examiner. This training and testing is completed in Malta. Before commencing the EASA CPL training, you must have at least 150 hours total time and you will be required to have 5 hours of night (3 hours dual, 1 hour cross‐country and 5 takeoffs and landings). For license issue, you will require 200 hours total time, 100 hours PIC, a 300NM cross‐country flight and a radio telephony license already achieved.

For the ICAO CPL Holder:
On completion of passing all 14 ATPL theoretical exams, you will need to complete a EASA conversion course for the commercial pilots license. Before beginning the training, you must have at least 100 hours PIC. This training is “as required,” and once you have demonstrated satisfactory standards to the chief flight instructor, then you will be able to complete the skills test with a EASA examiner. On completion of the CPL, you will need to pass the EASA instrument rating. It is a 55 hour training program, however if you hold an ICAO instrument rating, you are given a 40 hour exemption from the course, leaving you with a minimum 15 hour conversion, training and preparation for the IR skill test.